Determine can have different meanings – one important meaning is to make something happen. So, if certain factors determine an outcome, it means they control the outcome. For instance, in a free market, prices are determined by supply and demand. The grades which students receive for academic work are determined by a range of factors – most importantly, the amount of effort the students put into their research and writing, of course.
Here are FOUR sentences with the word of the day. But only THREE are correct. Which is the Odd One Out?
A player’s ranking is determined by their performance in tournaments during the last 12 months.
The court decided that the employees were not acting independently, but were directly determined by management.
It was realized that eye colour is not a matter of chance but is a genetically-determined phenomenon.
It appears that, to a large extent, educational achievement continues to be determined by social class.
What factors determine …
a person’s attractiveness? / the amount of rainfall? sporting success?
Christianity is the religion with the largest number of followers in New Zealand, covering approximately half of the population. What religion has the second highest number of followers?
Today’s video looks at the processes of sex determination in a number of different animals. Click on pause on your podomatic player and click on play to watch the video and answer the questions below. When it’s over, click on ‘play’ again on the podomatic player to hear me give the answers to the questions.
1) In humans, sex of the baby is determined by whether they inherit Y chromosomes from ______
2) Like humans, sex is determined in birds _____
by Z chromosomes
by the father
3) Male ants have no _______
4) The haplodiploid process of reproduction is characteristic of _______ insects
5) The sex of embryonic alligators is determined by ______
6) In clown fish, gender is largely determined by _____
7) When the dominant female dies in a colony of clown fish, which one takes her place in the hierarchy?
the subdominant female
the subdominant male
the dominant male
8) In the green spoon worm, sex is determined by the ________ of the larvae on the ocean floor