ACADEMIC WORD If something is rigid, it is difficult to bend or change. So, for example, if a building is rigid, it has a strong frame, so that it can withstand shocks. However, it is also important to have some flexibility, so that the frame doesn’t crack. If a system is rigid, it also means it has very limited flexibility.
Here are FOUR sentences with the word of the day. But only THREE are correct. Which is the Odd One Out?
She was rigid with fear after the shock and unable to move.
The glass had become rigid with age and shattered when the door slammed shut.
The mattress contains over 50 internal supports to provide rigidity, while the luxurious foam filling provides comfort.
They argued that rigid discipline was necessary throughout the armed forces in order to ensure controlled performance under stress.
Which objects around you now are rigid?
Did your school or college have rigid regulations regarding behaviour?
Which of the following was an influential New Zealand born scientist?
Ernest Rutherford / Joseph Faraday / Isaac Newton
Today’s video looks at cell biology. It’s actually a presentation made by an American student. Click on pause on your podomatic player and click on play to watch the video and answer the questions below. When it’s over, click on ‘play’ again on the podomatic player to hear me give the answers to the questions.
1) Every cell consists of dna inside a cell _________
membrane protein nucleus
2) Prokaryotes do not have a ______
a nucleus a membrane dna
3) Which of these organisms can be classified as prokaryotes?
archaea amoeba fungi
4) MRNA is translated into proteins within _________
dna ribosomes membranes
5) Ribosomal RNA is produced within the ________
prokaryote nucleolus archaea
6) Within the cell, some ribosomes are attached to the endoplasmic ________
cylosol body reticulum
7) Proteins which emerge from the Golgi Bodies, surrounded by their own membrane are known as _________
vesicles MRNA ribosomes
8) An organelle is _____
a collection of cells a particular form of vesicle a sub-unit of a cell
9) Mitochondria live within _____
cells ribosomes cellulose
10) Plant cells have cell walls made of ____ to provide rigidity