Today’s picture: Autumn Leaves – outside the Study Centre, Massey Albany
Part 1: Today's word
If something appeals to (verb) you, it means you like it or want to have it. So, for example, extramural or distance education appeals to students who have busy lives or those who live a long way from a college. An appealing (adjective) argument is one which seems attractive and makes you want to agree with it. You can also say that the argument has a good deal of appeal (noun). Appeal has other meanings, especially in Law – you can check these in a good dictionary, like the MacMillan or the Cambridge online dictionaries
Click here for interactive exercises on academic vocabulary and writing.
Part 2: Test
Here are FOUR sentences with the word of the day. But only THREE are correct. Which is the Odd One Out?
The new course is expected to have a widespread appeal among international students.
Despite his parents’ objections, his strong appeal to music led him to give up his business studies and concentrate on becoming a composer.
Country and Western music has a broad popular appeal which transcends national and social boundaries.
The study set out to explain the continuing appeal of smoking, despite its cost and negative effects on health.
Part 3: Practice Questions:
What is New Zealand’s main appeal for people considering emigrating here?
Which performers have a broad popular appeal in New Zealand (or in another country you know well)?
Which kinds of music do you find most appealing – and why?
Part 4: The Phrasal Test – part 10
1) (you realise) it ………. to you
2) (die) …….. away
3) (visit briefly) ……….. in
4) (stop at the side of the road) _______ over
5) (cheat someone) ………... someone off
6) (say goodbye at the airport etc) ______ someone off
7) (cause someone to fall behind schedule) _______someone back
8) (read quickly) ______through
9) (increase pressure etc) ______ up
10) (dismantle) _______ something apart
Part 5: Kiwi Quiz Question
Which form of creativity is being celebrated in New Zealand during the month of May?
Part 6: Today's online listening:
This is an interview from the BBC with the Chinese pianist Lang Lang
Vocabulary for the article:
a tyrant / tyrannical
to thwart somebody
to be reconciled with someone / a process of reconciliation
Your career took off big time
a household name
Questions for the article:
1) What first introduced Lang Lang to the appeal of playing the piano?
The Cultural Revolution
A Chinese cartoon
A television programme
The chance to win competitions
2) What kind of challenge did he have to overcome in order to win his first piano competition?
3) How many hours did he use to practise piano on a school day at the age of seven?
just under three hours
three hours forty-five minutes
nearly six hours
seven hours forty-five minutes
4) Which of these difficulties did he face during his early months in Beijing?
his father was unable to live with him
his neighbours were noisy
his fellow pupils made fun of him
the police prevented him from practising piano
5) For what reasons did he stop playing the piano for a while when he was in Beijing?
6) He attributes his success in interpreting Chopin at the age of thirteen especially to ...
7) What did his American teacher suggest would be a good way to become famous?
Winning a number of international competitions
Substituting for a well-known pianist
Marrying an international celebrity
Becoming a household name
8) When Lang Lang plays Chinese music he ...
uses elements of Western classical piano playing
uses an adapted instrument
adapts folk tunes to the piano
imitates Chopin, Tchaikovsky and Debussy
9) Lang Lang has set up a foundation in order to ..
inspire classical pianists
improve the quality of popular music
help young classical musicians
enhance the image of classical music
Lang Lang’s autobiography is called Lang Lang - Journey of a Thousand Miles and his most recent CD is a collection of Chopin Piano Concertos
Today’s musical suggestion: from China
Horse Race performed by Lang Lang and his father ________________________________________________________________