Today’s picture: Massey University Coat of Arms – ‘May Learning Flourish’!
Part 1: Today's word
If a process is optimized, it means it’s improved so that it works as well as possible. An optimal (or optimum) solution is the best one that can be found. Optimisation of a process involves a careful evaluation of the current methods and a careful consideration of the effects of modifications and alternative strategies until the best solution is found.
for interactive exercises on academic vocabulary and writing.
Part 2: Test
Here are FOUR sentences with the word of the day. But only THREE are correct. Which is the Odd One Out?
The recession means that funds for new equipment are simply unavailable, making it even more important to improve the optimization of current technology.
An automatic optimization feature matches system response to the varying demands of the end-user, reducing energy costs by up to 50% during its life cycle.
The so-called ‘intelligent management’ system focuses on the optimization of resources and is therefore particularly appropriate in conditions of scarcity.
Optimisation of the VX Video Driver achieves higher levels of graphic performance through reallocation of memory from other systems.
Part 3: Practice Questions:
What time of day do you reach your optimal level of performance as a student?
How can students optimise their limited study time?
Part 4: The Phrasal Test – part 2
11) Where do teenagers normally hang ______ in your town?
12) Which family members do you most look ______ ______?
13) Did you use to mess ______ in some of your lessons at school?
14) Were you named ______ any of your relatives?
15) Were you ever picked ______ by bullies at school?
16) Have you ever been pulled ______ while driving?
17) Would you rule ______ becoming a housewife or househusband?
18) What kind of things do you most like to splash ______ ______?
Part 5: Kiwi Quiz Question
Sunday May 10th was Mothers’ Day in New Zealand. What percentage of New Zealand women in their forties have at least one child?
More statistics about New Zealand mothers here
Part 6: Today's online listening
This is an interview from Radio New Zealand with mathematics professor Andy Philpott from Auckland University. He talks about the important practical applications of operations research, a form of mathematical modelling,
Vocabulary for the article:
Questions for the article:
1) Which organisation has the team of Philpott and Everett saved millions of dollars?
a paper manufacturer
a news corporation
a mapping service
2) Which of these is mentioned as an application of operations research?
staffing of airlines
planning routes of airlines
predicting passenger numbers
airline investment decisions
3) Which of these is a true description of operations research?
it produces optimistic solutions to problems
it has always had a low public profile
it is becoming more popular as a result of the credit crunch
it produces the best possible representation of reality
4) Developments in which area led to extensions of their model?
5) Interest in the University of Auckland’s operations research work has ...
been somewhat disappointing
declined as a result of the recession
come mainly from North America
Today’s musical suggestion: from the USA
Simply The Best by Tina Turner